March 20, 2006
The following directive was issued by the commanding officer of a Naval installation in the Middle East, and it was obviously directed at the Marines.
To: All Commands
Subject: Inappropriate T-Shirts
Ref: ComMidEastFor Inst 16134//24 K
1. The following T-shirts are no longer to be worn on or off base by any military or civilian personnel serving in the Middle East:
* "Eat Pork Or Die" [both English and Arabic versions]
* "Shrine Busters" [Various. Show burning minarets or bomb/artillery shells impacting Islamic shrines. Some with unit logos.]
* "Napalm, Sticks Like Crazy" [Both English and Arabic versions]
* "Goat - it isn't just for breakfast any more." [Both English and Arabic versions]
* "The road to Paradise begins with me." [Mostly Arabic versions but some in English. Some show sniper scope cross-hairs]
* "Guns don't kill people. I kill people." [Both Arabic and English versions]
* "Pork. The other white meat." [Arabic version]
* "Infidel" [English, Arabic and other coalition force languages.]
2. The above T-shirts are to be removed from Post Exchanges upon receipt of this directive.
3. The following signs are to be removed upon receipt of this message:
* "Islamic Religious Services Will Be Held at the Firing Range at 0800 Daily."
* "Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?"
4. All commands are instructed to implement sensitivity training upon receipt.
I'm fairly certain it wasn't the C.O.s idea. More likely a high ranking civilian complaint.
I say let them wear what they want. They're the ones putting it on the line, not the civilians.
Besides, it's an excellent example of passive Psy-Ops.
Abdul and Habib the potential terrorists see that and they get a clue that, No, we really, truely don't trust them as much as the Media would have them believe.
Could it be possible that they might not be able to casually stroll up to a group of Americans with the intent of blowing themselves up, without first being shot 45 times?
I've worn worse to work and gotten rave reviews. Of course I also know when not to wear such things.
For what it's worth from a former Airdale Squid, Semper Fi Jarheads.
- Joatmoaf -
March 20, 2006 at 08:09 PM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference NAVCOM Directive:
» From the Good Folks at I Love Jet Noise from SingleMind.Net: Javelin Catcher, Team USA ;)
03/30/2006: This, from Joatmoaf at the blog I love Jet Noise, who reports a memo distributed to the CO at a Navy base in the Middle East: To: All Commands Subject: Inappropriate T-Shirts Ref: ComMidEastFor Inst 16134//24 K 1. The followin... [Read More]
Tracked on Mar 30, 2006 8:22:56 AM
Tracked on Apr 2, 2006 11:07:14 AM
» Kill, But Don't Insult from Reasoned Audacity
Translated below The Navy's nixed-mixed messages making the rounds with mil-bloggers from last year. U.S. Navy Directive 16134 [Inappropriate T-Shirts] The following directive was issued by the commanding officer of all naval installations in the Midd... [Read More]
Tracked on Mar 27, 2007 5:13:08 PM
No problem.. we can come up with offensive t-shirts faster then they can ban them.. our advertising industry has to be good for SOMETHING.
"Bullets by Jimmy Dean."
"If you bomb us and we know kiss your ass." ((picture of someone kissing their ass goodbye))
"If you can hear a jet engine.. your already dead."
Posted by: LarryConley at Apr 20, 2006 2:53:09 PM